- 2 heads garlic, sliced horizontally
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound large sea scallops, muscles removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup celeriac, peeled and sliced thinly on a mandoline, optional
- 1 cup elephant garlic, peeled and sliced thinly on a mandoline, optional
- 2 tablespoons chervil
- 2 tablespoons chives
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place garlic on a piece of foil and spoon 3 tablespoons of olive oil on top of cut garlic. Wrap tightly to make a pouch and put directly into the oven for 30 minutes or until garlic is soft.
Once garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze cloves into a saucepan and add chicken stock. Cook on high for 10 minutes or until stock reduces by half and add cream. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth and continue to simmer on low.
In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoon of butter. Season scallops with salt and pepper and sear on each side for 2 minutes.
In the meantime, if using, heat the vegetable oil and fry the celeriac and garlic until just browned, about 1 minute. Drain of excess oil and sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper and melted butter.
Spoon puree onto the middle of a plate, top with scallops, garnish with celeriac and garlic chips.
* Shellfish Warning
Consumption of raw or undercooked shellfish may substantially increase the risk of foodborne illness.