Seasonal Fish of the Day with Crabmeat, Pecans, Citrus, Spinach, and Brown Butter
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 grapefruit cut into segments, skin and pith removed
- 2 oranges cut into segments, skin and pith removed
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (6-ounce) red fish fillets (or your favorite fish), scaled, skin on and skin scored
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 pats Pecan-Shallot Compound Butter, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- Pecan-Shallot Compound Butter:
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach with the grapefruit, oranges, extra-virgin olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, 1/8 teaspoon of the white pepper and toss well to combine. Divide the salad among 4 room temperature entree plates and set aside as you prepare the fish.
Set a 14-inch saute pan over high heat and add the olive oil. Season the fish fillets on both sides with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the white pepper. When the oil is very hot, add the fillets, skin side down, and cook until crisp around the edges on the skin side, about 1 minute, turn the fillets over in the pan, then add the butter, shallots, and pecans to the pan and place in the oven. Bake until the butter is beginning to brown around the edges and the fish is almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, add the crabmeat and lemon juice (drizzle the juice over the butter) and return to the oven briefly until fish is cooked through. Remove from the oven, place 1 pat of the compound butter over each piece of fish and set each piece of fish on top of a mound of salad. Season the pecan and crabmeat in the pan with remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and add the parsley, chives and tarragon. Stir to combine, then divide the pecan, crabmeat relish evenly among the four plates and serve immediately.Pecan-Shallot Compound Butter:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and lightly toast in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Roughly chop.
Place the butter, pecans, shallots, garlic, and salt in a medium bowl, and mix well with a rubber spatula. Spoon down the middle of an 8-inch piece of parchment paper and roll into a log, about 1-inch in diameter. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until ready to use.
The butter can be frozen, tightly wrapped in plastic, for up to 1 month.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, Emeril's Food of Love Productions, copyright 2007