Shrimp and Pancetta over Torn Pasta Sheets
- 1 pound torn fresh pasta sheets, or pappardelle or other wide noodles
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, cut in 1/2, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds large (21 to 25 count) shrimp, peeled, deveined, and butterflied
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest, garnish
- Grated Parmesan (optional)
In a large pot of salted water, cook the pasta until just al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
To the oil in the pan, add the onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the wine, salt, red pepper, lemon juice, and shrimp and cook, stirring, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the parsley and stir to combine.
Add the cooked pasta to the shrimp mixture and toss well to combine. Cook until the pasta is heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat, add the lemon zest, and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Spoon into individual pasta bowls or onto large plates, and serve immediately.