Shrimp and Scallop Ceviche
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup seeded and diced tomatoes
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Put a 4-quart stockpot over high heat and fill with 2 quarts of water. Season the water with 1/4 cup kosher salt and bring to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, add the shrimp to the pot and immediately turn off the heat. Let the shrimp sit until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the water and spread out on a sheet pan to cool.
Once the shrimp are completely cooled, chop into 1/2-inch pieces and put in a medium-sized nonreactive bowl. Add the scallops, lemon, lime and orange juices and stir in the cucumber, red onion and chiles. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Stir the tomatoes, avocado, chopped cilantro, and olive oil into the shrimp and scallop mixture. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, then season to taste with kosher salt.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.