- 1 pound spaghetti, cooked until dente and covered to keep warm
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiana-Reggiano
- 1 1/4 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, patted dry
- Vegetable oil, for frying (about 2 cups)
- 1 (25-ounce) jar marinara sauce (recommended: Emeril's Homestyle Marinara sauce)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
In a shallow bowl, combine the flour with 1 tablespoon of the Essence, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. In a second bowl, beat the eggs with the water. In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the Parmigiana, remaining tablespoon Essence, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Add enough vegetable oil to come halfway up the sides of a medium pot and heat to 360 degrees F. Preheat the oven to broil.
Meanwhile, 1 at a time, dredge the shrimp first in the flour, then in the egg wash, and then in the seasoned bread crumbs, tossing to coat evening and shaking to remove any excess. Place on a plate until ready to cook.
Add the shrimp in batches to the hot oil, turning occasionally, and cook until golden brown and the shrimp float to the top, about 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Transfer the shrimp to a lightly greased baking dish. Spoon about 1 3/4 cups of the marinara sauce over the shrimp and sprinkle the mozzarella over the top. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss the spaghetti with the remaining marinara sauce and warm gently.
To serve, spoon the spaghetti into a large serving bowl and using a spatula, transfer the shrimp to the top. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Thank you! your flag was submitted.