Shrimp Toast with Wasabi Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or medium-dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 pound rock shrimp
- 1/4 cup diced (1/8-inch) peeled jicama
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- About 6 cups peanut oil, for frying
- 12 very thin slices firm white sandwich bread, crusts discarded
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 24 cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Wasabi Sauce, recipe follows
In a food processor blend the garlic, ginger, rice wine, sugar, cornstarch, egg white, and soy sauce. Add the shrimp, pulsing the motor, until mixture is paste-like but not completely smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in jicama and scallions.
Heat peanut oil in a deep saucepan over moderately high heat until it registers 350 degrees F on deep-fat thermometer. While oil is heating, divide shrimp spread among bread slices (about 2 tablespoons per slice), spreading evenly to edges of bread. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, pressing gently to stick.
Fry 2 bread slices, shrimp sides down, until shrimp is browned, about 1 minute. Turn over and fry until undersides are golden, about 30 seconds. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Fry remaining slices in same manner. Cut each toast diagonally into 2 triangles. Garnish with cilantro sprigs. Drizzle with Wasabi Sauce and serve immediately.Wasabi Sauce:
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons wasabi powder (horseradish powder)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine or medium-dry sherry
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes before using.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.