- 1 pound peeled shrimp
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 pound cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 13 to 14 slices brioche or homemade-style white bread, crusts removed
- Vegetable oil or clarified butter, for frying
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the shrimp, green onions, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, egg white, salt, and process until smooth. Add the cream cheese and pulse to incorporate Add the cream and pulse just until incorporated, being careful not to over-process.
Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of the shrimp mixture onto each slice of bread, spreading to the edges and smoothing the top.
In a large heavy pot, heat 4-inches of vegetable oil to 360 degrees F. Add the shrimp toasts in batches and fry until golden, coated sides down first, about 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels, cut each slice in half diagonally, and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001