Shrimp with Lime, Chiles, Tequila
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 poblano pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1/4 cup minced jalapeno or serrrano chiles
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup white tequila
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro leaves, for garnish
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until hot but not smoking. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter. Season the shrimp on both sides with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the chipotle chili powder and cook, in 2 batches, until lightly golden and almost cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a platter and cover loosely to keep warm. Add the onion, all peppers and garlic to the skillet and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the lime juice and tequila and cook scraping any browned bits from the pan, until almost nearly evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining butter, salt and chili powder, swirling to melt and incorporate. Return the shrimp to the pan to re-warm then serve immediately, with the pan juices and garnished with the cilantro.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.