Sliced Tomato Salad with Herb Vinaigrette, Red Onions, and Maytag Blue Cheese (Delmonico Steakhouse)
- 3 large vine-ripened tomatoes, each cut into 4 thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup Herb Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 12 (1/8-inch thick) slices red onion, or sweet onions
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, recommended: Maytag
Place 1 tomato slice on each of 4 salad plates and top with 1 onion slice. Repeat layering for 3 layers each of tomatoes and onions, ending with onions on top. Crumble 2 tablespoons of the cheese on top of each stack, drizzle with the vinaigrette, and serve immediately.
1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon fresh lime juice
3/4 teaspoon fresh grapefruit juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped assorted herbs, including thyme, parsley, chives and basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the vinegar, and orange, lemon, lime, and grapefruit juices in a medium bowl and whisk together. Add the vegetable and olive oils in a slow stream, whisking constantly to form an emulsion. Add the herbs, salt, and pepper, and whisk well to incorporate.
Yield: 1 1/4 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.