Smoked Beef and Caramelized Onion Risotto
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup Essence, recipe follows
- 1 pound of beef tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 4 equal pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 pound (2 cups) Arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions, green part only
- Garnish: Parsley
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Mix the water and Essence together. Rub the tenderloin with the mixture, cover with plastic wrap and marinate for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Prepare the smoker.
Remove the beef from the refrigerator. Place the beef in the smoker and smoke for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the smoker and cool. Thinly slice the beef on the bias and set aside. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring. Saute until the onions are caramelized, about 6 minutes.
Add the stock and garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for about 6 minutes.
Add the rice and simmer for 18 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the butter, cream, and cheese. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Fold in the beef and green onions. Remove from the heat. Spoon the risotto in the center of each shallow bowl. Garnish with parsley.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse