- 3 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, plus more if needed
- 3/4 pound shredded smoked Gouda
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Place potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
Return the potatoes to the saucepan and add the butter, cream, and cheese. Mash the potatoes, stirring to incorporate the seasonings. Season with salt and freshly ground white pepper. Serve warm.