- 32 potato slices (about 1/8-inch thick), punched out 2 1/2-inch diameter
- 1 cup clarified butter, divided
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, sliced thin on a long bias
- 1 cup whipped creme fraiche
- 4 ounces American sturgeon caviar
- 1 red pearl onion, peeled and shaved thin
- 4 fresh dill sprigs
Dry the potato slices a bit by pressing between a kitchen towel.
Heat an 8-inch saute pan with 1/4 cup of the clarified butter until just before smoking. Start adding the potatoes in a circular, overlapping patter, making 2 layers. When the bottom layer has browned nicely, carefully flip and cook the topside, adding more clarified butter, as needed. Remove when lightly golden to a tray lined with a few layers of paper towel and season. Repeat.