Smoked Salmon Quiche with Crispy Potato Crust
- 3 1/4 cups grated, cooked potato or frozen hashbrown potatoes, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, plus 1 tablespoon whole butter
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 2 medium leeks, halved and thinly sliced, about 1 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a bowl, combine the potatoes, 1 tablespoon of the melted butter and Essence, and toss to combine. Add the Parmesan and toss to combine. Press the potato mixture into the prepared pie plate, spreading to evenly cover the bottom and up the sides. Bake until the potatoes are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Reduce the oven to 350 degrees F.
Pour the remaining tablespoon of butter into a small skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and saute until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
Place the cream cheese in a large bowl and using a wooden spoon, stir in the leeks and lemon juice. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, stirring just until combined. Add the cream, salmon, dill, salt, and pepper and mix well.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.