Smoked Shrimp Cakes with a Warm Fire-Roasted Remoulade and Sweet Potato Nests
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tail removed
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1 ear sweet corn
- Drizzle vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups dried fine bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, green parts only
- 1/4 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Remoulade sauce, recipe follows
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, cut into thin curls, and fried until crispy
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons Creole or whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Prepare the smoker. Season the shrimp with Essence. Place half of the shrimp in the smoker and smoke for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until the shrimp turns pale pink and the tail starts to curl. Remove and cool.
In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, puree the remaining shrimp. Remove and set aside. Rough chop the smoked shrimp and set aside. Season the corn cob with a drizzle of vegetable oil and Essence. Place the cob over an opened flame and lightly char the corn on all sides.
In small saute pan, over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the onions, celery and bell peppers. Season with salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft and slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, combine the Sauteed vegetables, pureed shrimp, chopped shrimp, egg, 3/4 cup bread crumbs, and green onions. Mix well. Season with salt and cayenne. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and form them into 1-inch-thick cakes (patties).
In a shallow bowl, combine the flour with Essence. In another bowl, whisk the remaining egg with the water. In a third bowl, combine the remaining 3/4 cup bread crumbs and season with Essence.
Heat the oil to 360 degrees F in a large saute pan over medium heat.
Gently lay the cakes, 3 to 4 at a time, in the oil and fry until lightly golden, about 4 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Season with Essence.
Using a knife, remove the kernels from the cob. In a saute pan, over medium heat, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter. Add the corn and saute for 1 minute. Add the Remoulade and continue to saute for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cupREMOULADE
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor with a metal blade and process for 30 seconds. Use immediately or store. Will keep for several days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 cups
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse