Smothered Pork Chops with Apples, Onions and Cabbage
- 4 double cut pork chops
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into thick wedges
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 3 pounds savoy or napa cabbage (1 head)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup Calvados
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped marjoram
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Season both sides of the pork chops with the Essence and kosher salt. Lightly dredge in the flour.
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over high heat. Add the pork chops 2 at a time, and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the pork chops and transfer to a platter. Repeat with the remaining pork chops and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium-high, and add the apples and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples and onions are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock, Calvados, caraway seeds, bay leaves, salt, pepper and herbs. Cook uncovered until sauce comes to a boil. Add the pork chops, cover, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the pork chops are fork-tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Serve the pork chops with the cabbage and pan juices.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Grilled Korean-Style BBQ Glazed Pork Chops with Red Onions and Baby Bok Choy, Mediterranean Stuffed Pork Chops, Sunday Supper Stuffed Pork Chops, Cream Cheese Potatoes, Sugar Snap Peas, Roast Beef Recipes, Veal Chop Recipes, Pork Butt Recipes, New York Strip Steak Recipes, Fruit Dessert, Prime Rib Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.