- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces country ham or fat back, cubed
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 pounds baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the ham and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the onions, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary, and cook, stirring, until the onions start to color, about 10 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the potatoes and stock, and stir well to incorporate. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and have absorbed the stock, about 45 minutes.
Remove from the heat and serve.