Southern Cooked Greens
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 3 cups julienned onions
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle of Dixie Beer
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 6 pounds greens, such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale, and spinach, cleaned and stemmed
In a large pot, render the bacon until crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes or until the onions are wilted. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and pinch of cayenne. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in the beer, vinegar, and molasses. Stir in the greens, a third at a time, pressing the greens down as they start to wilt. Cook the greens, uncovered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Mound the greens in the center of the platter. Arrange the chops around the greens. Spoon the sauce over the top.
Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse