Southern Cooked Greens
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 3 cups julienned onions
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle of Dixie Beer
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 6 pounds greens, such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale, and spinach, cleaned and stemmed
In a large pot, render the bacon until crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes or until the onions are wilted. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and pinch of cayenne. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in the beer, vinegar, and molasses. Stir in the greens, a third at a time, pressing the greens down as they start to wilt. Cook the greens, uncovered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Mound the greens in the center of the platter. Arrange the chops around the greens. Spoon the sauce over the top.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.