Southern Cooked Greens
- 1/2 pound chopped bacon
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 6 pounds assorted greens, such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale and spinach, washed and stemmed
In a large pot, saute the bacon until slightly crisp. Add the onions and season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook 6 to 7 minutes, until the onions are wilted and golden. Add the brown sugar and stir to dissolve. Add the shallots and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the water and vinegar and mix well. Begin adding the greens, a third at a time, pressing them down as they begin to wilt. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until the greens are soft, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serve hot.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Main Challenge: Spicy Southern Collard Greens with Sweet Maple Cornbread, "Soul Roll" (Southern Greens-stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Red Beans and Rice and Pan Gravy), Gina's Collard Greens, Fried Rice Recipes, Cucumber, Brussels Sprout, Saffron Rice Recipes, Applesauce Recipes, Easy Side Dish
Thank you! your flag was submitted.