- 2 pounds ground turkey, 85/15 blend
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced green onion, (about 1 scallion)
- 1 or 2 serrano peppers, minced, to taste
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Emeril's Southwestern Essence
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup grated Cheddar
- 12 mini burger buns or small soft dinner rolls, warmed in oven
- 12 small lettuce leaves
- 12 slices tomato
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup, optional
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
In a large bowl, combine ground turkey with minced red onion, green onion, peppers, egg whites, Essence, cumin and Worcestershire sauce. Divide the turkey into 12 equal portions and, using your hands, shape into 12 small burgers about 3 1/2-inches wide.
Place the burgers on the grill and cook until turkey is done and a thermometer inserted into the center registers 165 degrees F, about 3 minutes per side.