Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Simple Tomato Sauce for Pasta:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves garlic)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (3-inch piece) Parmesan rind
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
DirectionsSimple Tomato Sauce for Pasta:
Heat the olive oil in a 5-quart pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, crushed red pepper, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and squeeze to break into small pieces. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, and sugar to the pot with the onions, and stir well. Add the Parmesan rind. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally with a long-handled wooden spoon, until flavors have come together and sauce is thickened. Stir in the basil and let sit for 10 minutes before using.
Remove from the heat, and use as needed. You can store this sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Yield: 10 cups, 2 1/2 quartsEmeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Thank you! your flag was submitted.