- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound dried spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup Basic Red Sauce, or store-bought pasta sauce, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups cubed mozzarella (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives, optional
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean and thinly sliced, optional
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sliced pepperoni
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt and spaghetti and stir to combine. Return to a boil, reduce heat to a low boil and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain spaghetti in colander. Return to the pot and toss with 2 teaspoons olive oil and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine the spaghetti, pasta sauce, bell pepper, garlic, Essence, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, and mozzarella and toss to mix well. If desired, also add chopped black olives and mushrooms, and mix to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and milk. Transfer the spaghetti mixture to the prepared dish and pour the egg mixture over the top. Arrange the sliced pepperoni in an even layer over the top, and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Bake until bubbly and golden brown on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Basic Red Sauce:
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onions (1 medium yellow onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves garlic)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
In a medium, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, basil, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, 5 minutes.
Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and squeeze to break into small pieces. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and sugar to the pot and stir well. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally with a heavy wooden spoon.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.