Spaghetti with Clams
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic
- 11/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds small clams, such as Littlenecks, or cockles, scrubbed and purged in salted water, any open or broken clams discarded
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Lemon wedges, accompaniment
In a large pot of salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain and return to the pot, and cover to keep warm.
In a large saute pan or pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, red pepper, and salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes, being careful not to let the garlic burn. Add the wine and clams, cover, and cook, shaking occasionally, until the clams open, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard any clams that do not open.
Add the cooked pasta and parsley and toss well to combine and warm the pasta. Divide among 4 or 6 pasta bowls or large plates. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.