Spanish Chorizo Stewed in Cider
- 1 pound Spanish chorizo or smoked garlic sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces crosswise
- 2 tablespoons Spanish olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet Spanish paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Crusty bread, for dipping, optional
In a large Spanish terra cotta cazuela, or in a shallow enameled skillet or wide nonstick saute pan, brown the chorizo in the olive oil on 1 side, about 3 minutes. Turn to the other side add the onions and cook for 3 minutes longer. Add the garlic and the Spanish paprika, and salt, and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the cider, and cider vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a bare simmer and continue to cook until sauce has reduced in volume by about half, 15 to 20 minutes, turning the sausage occasionally to ensure even cooking.
Serve the sausage on small plates, ladled with some of the pan juices, with pieces of crusty bread for dipping, if desired.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.