- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups unsalted mixed nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, and almonds
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix the spices and set aside.
In a large dry skillet, place the nuts and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until they begin to toast, about 4 minutes. Add the butter and cook, stirring, until the nuts begin to darken, about 1 minute. Add the spices, the sugar, water, and the salt and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens and the nuts are glazed, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the nuts to the prepared baking sheet, separating them with a fork. Let the nuts stand until cooled and the sugar has hardened, about 10 minutes.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse