Spicy Duck Empanadas with Gravy
- 1/2 pound duck breast, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Southwest seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup seeded and chopped poblano, New Mexican green or Anaheim Chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups beef stock, in all
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 large egg, beaten with 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Preheat the fryer. In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. Season the duck meat. When the pan is hot, add the duck and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in the corn, peppers, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and the remaining 1 teaspoon Southwest seasoning and saute for 1 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic and continue sauteeing for 1 minute. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the stock and bring to a boil. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup stock with the cornstarch and whisk into the filling mixture. Cook for 5 minutes over high heat. Remove from the heat and strain off the gravy. Return the gravy to a small saucepan and bring up to a boil and let reduce for 5 minutes.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and cut the dough into 12 pieces. Using your fingers, gingerly press the dough out into small circles, about 1/8-inch thick. The dough must be handled with care to keep it from cracking. Brush the dough rounds with some of the egg wash. Spoon a heaping spoon of the filling in the middle of each round of dough, fold over to form a half-moon pie shape, and crimp the edges with a fork. Brush the tops of the empanadas with more egg wash. Place the empanadas in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes Remove from the oil and drain on a paper-lined baking sheet. Season the empanadas with salt and pepper. For cilantro cream: In a small mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, lemon juice, and fresh chopped cilantro together. Mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.