Spicy Pork Stir-Fry with Coconut Scallion Rice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 12 ounces lean pork loin, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon black bean chili sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil/palm kernel oil
- 2 Japanese eggplant, cut in 1/2 and sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch sections
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red jalapenos, thinly sliced
- 2 green jalapenos, thinly sliced
- Coconut Scallion Rice, recipe follows, for serving
- Coconut Scallion Rice:
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 bunches scallions, sliced thinly on a bias
Stir together the cornstarch and soy sauce and pour over the pork strips. Stir to combine and set aside.
Stir together the black bean chili sauce, chicken stock and sugar. Set aside until ready to use.
Preheat the wok over medium-high to high heat and add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Swirl quickly to coat the sides of the pan with the oil. Add the eggplant and cook until tender, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and swirl again to coat all sides. Cook the onions, stirring, until slightly tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 5 to 10 seconds. Add the red and green jalapenos and cook for 30 seconds. Return the eggplant to the wok and add the pork. Cook, stirring, until pork is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the black bean mixture and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until everything is well coated with the sauce and heated through. Serve hot with the Coconut Scallion Rice.Coconut Scallion Rice:
In a medium saucepan combine the jasmine rice with the coconut milk, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, undisturbed for 5 minutes. Add the scallions and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.