Spicy Red Curry Braised Shrimp
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 4 Thai red chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup shrimp stock or water
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- Cooked fresh rice noodles or basmati rice, for serving
- Freshly chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
Thinly slice the bottom 4 inches of the lemongrass, place in a blender with the red chiles, onion, garlic, curry paste and water. Process until smooth.
In a medium, nonreactive bowl combine the shrimp with the soy sauce. Let stand 10 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. When hot, add the blended spice paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the coconut milk and water. Cover and simmer until sauce begins to thicken, about 15 minutes. Add shrimp to the saucepan and cook until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
In a saute pan over medium-high heat, add about 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once heated, add the scallions and peppers and saute. Add the shrimp, sauce and noodles and toss to combine. Garnish with the cilantro and peanuts.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, Emeril's Food of Love Productions, copyright 2007