- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 4 Thai red chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup shrimp stock or water
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- Cooked fresh rice noodles or basmati rice, for serving
- Freshly chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
Thinly slice the bottom 4 inches of the lemongrass, place in a blender with the red chiles, onion, garlic, curry paste and water. Process until smooth.
In a medium, nonreactive bowl combine the shrimp with the soy sauce. Let stand 10 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. When hot, add the blended spice paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the coconut milk and water. Cover and simmer until sauce begins to thicken, about 15 minutes. Add shrimp to the saucepan and cook until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
In a saute pan over medium-high heat, add about 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once heated, add the scallions and peppers and saute. Add the shrimp, sauce and noodles and toss to combine. Garnish with the cilantro and peanuts.