- 8 turkey wings, separated at joints, tips removed, rinsed well and patted dry
- 5 tablespoons Essence, plus 3 tablespoons, plus more for seasoning, recipe follows
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- Emeril's Kicked Up Horseradish Cole Slaw, recipe follows
In a large bowl toss the wings with 5 tablespoons of the Essence. Place in a large plastic freezer bag.
Fill a large pot halfway with peanut oil, and heat to 360 degrees F. In a clean large freezer bag, combine the flour, the remaining 3 tablespoons Essence, and salt. Remove the turkey wings from the buttermilk, and transfer 2 at a time to the bag with the seasoned flour. Shake to coat and remove, shaking to remove any excess flour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place coated wings on a large wire rack set over a sheet tray and let rest, un-refrigerated, for 20 minutes. Add to the hot oil and fry until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and season with Essence. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
Serve hot or at room temperature with Emeril's Kicked Up Horseradish Coleslaw
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Emeril's Kicked Up Horseradish Cole Slaw:
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely grated fresh horseradish
In a large bowl whisk together the sour cream, vinegar, and sugar and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the cabbage, carrots, and horseradish and toss to coat. Adjust seasoning, to taste. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve. (cole slaw may be made up to 4 hours in advance. Stir before serving.)
Yield: 8 servings