- 1 ounce noodles, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-tablespoon tree ear or cloud ear mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes, thoroughly rinsed, drained and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 3 ounces crabmeat, cleaned
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 sheets round banh trangs (dried rice wrappers available at Vietnamese or specialty markets)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups peanut oil
- Carrot Salad, recipe follows
- Fresh Herb, Lettuce, and Cucumber Salad, recipe follows
Cut the round wrappers into quarters and place on a flat surface. With a pastry brush, paint the beaten egg over the entire surface of each of the pieces. Before filling, wait for the egg mixture to take effect, softening the wrappers, this takes about 2 minutes.
When the wrapper is soft and transparent, place 1 teaspoon of the filling near the curved side, in the shape of a triangle. Fold the sides over to enclose the filling and continue to roll all the way up until all the wrappers are filled.
In a large frying pan add oil, and place the spring rolls into the cold oil. Slowly heat, frying for 20 to 30 minutes. Turn them occasionally until they are golden on all sides. Serve with Carrot Salad and Fresh Herb, Lettuce, and Cucumber Salad.
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons nouc cham, recipe follows
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh hot chile pepper (about 1 1/2-inch long), finely chopped
- 1/2 lime
- 1/4-cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
In a bowl combine all the ingredients.
Fresh Herb, Lettuce, and Cucumber Salad:
- 3 cups bibb lettuce leaves
- 1 cup picked mint leaves
- 1 cup picked cilantro leaves
- 1 cup cucumber slices, cut into semicircles
On a platter arrange the lettuce, creating a mound in the center. Around the mound in the center, place the mint and cilantro on opposite sides, touching the mound. Arrange the cucumber slices in a fan design, overlapping slightly along the edge of the platter.