Squash Ribbon Salad with Goat Cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds small zucchini
- 1 1/2 pounds small yellow squash
- 6 tablespoons white wine or Champagne vinegar
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned fresh mint
- 1/4 cup julienned fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 6 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add zucchini and yellow squash and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
When the squash have cooled enough to handle, slice very thinly using a mandoline, if possible. (Alternatively, slice as thinly as possible using a sharp knife.) Transfer squash to a mixing bowl.
In a small bowl combine the vinegar, olive oil, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. When the squash have cooled completely, add the vinaigrette and toss gently to combine. Add the mint, basil, and chives and toss to thoroughly combine. Crumble the goat cheese over the top and sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2004