- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons crumbled creamy blue cheese, such as Maytag Blue
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 (8-ounce) New York strip steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- French Fries, recipe follows
In a bowl, combine the butter, shallots, blue cheese, parsley, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Blend until creamy and well mixed. Turn out onto a sheet of plastic or waxed paper and form into a small log, about 1-inch in diameter. Cover and refrigerate until just firm, about 1 hour.
Preheat a grill.
Season both sides of the steaks with salt and pepper to taste. Grill to desired temperature, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove from the grill and transfer to serving plates. Cut the Blue Cheese-Shallot Butter log into 4 pieces, and place one piece on each steak. Serve immediately with the French Fries
- 3 large baking potatoes, like russets, about 2 pounds, peeled and cut into matchstick slices 1/4-inch thick
- Canola oil, fry frying
Place the potato slices in a bowl of water. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again. Pat dry with towels.
Heat enough oil to come 4 inches up the sides of a large deep saucepan to 350 degrees F. Add the potatoes in batches and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot with the steaks.