- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3/4 cup Beluga lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to3 sprigs parsley
- 1 to 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons fresh ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 6 (6 ounce) cod fillets
- 3 bunches dandelion greens, large stems removed, well washed
- 1/4 cup picked chervil sprigs, for garnish
In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and, once hot, add the onion, carrot and celery. Saute the vegetables until just tender about, 4 minutes. Add the lentils, broth and herbs. Season with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the white pepper. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lentils are just tender. Do not overcook.
In a small bowl, combine the Dijon mustard with 1/4 cup of the balsamic vinegar, and 1/2 cup of the olive oil. Whisk until emulsified. Add the bell pepper, red onion, parsley, green onions, and chives, and toss to combine.
Add the dressing to the lentils, toss to combine, taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the remaining 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. Brush the cod fillets with the oil and vinegar mixture and season with the remaining teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper. Steam the cod according to the directions on the steamer until just cooked through.
Steam the greens in the steamer, lightly season with salt and freshly ground pepper. (If using the Emerilware steamer, place the cod fillets on the top steamer plate and steam until just cooked through, about 10 minutes. The dandelion greens can be added to the steamer basket below the cod about midway through the cooking of the cod and they should both be done by the time the cod is finished cooking.)
To serve, spoon about 1/2 cup of the lentils onto a plate or shallow bowl, place a 1/4 cup of the steamed greens around the edge of the plate, then garnish with the steamed cod. Garnish with a few sprigs of fresh chervil.