Steen's Cane Syrup Shoofly Pie
- 1 prepared (10-inch) sweet pie crust, recipe follows
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Steen's cane syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, or 2 cups sweetened, freshly whipped cream, as accompaniment
- Sweet Pie Crust:
- 8 ounces flour (about 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
Combine the flour, brown sugar, butter and salt in a small bowl, and mix with your fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
Dissolve the baking soda in 1/4 cup of hot water in a mixing bowl. Add the egg, cane syrup, vanilla extract, and remaining 1/2 cup hot water. Whisk until smooth. Fold in half of the reserved crumb mixture, and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Pour the cane syrup filling into the pie shell, and sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture evenly over the top. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and bake for 25 minutes longer.
Remove the pie from the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes. To serve, cut into thin slices and serve with vanilla ice cream on top.Sweet Pie Crust:
Into a large bowl sift the flour and salt. Add the butter pieces and shortening and work them into the flour by hand until the dough starts to come together and form small pea shapes. Work the ice water into the dough 1 tablespoon at a time with your fingers until it just comes together, being careful not to over mix. Form the crust into a disk shape, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator to rest for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.