- 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 stalks fresh lemongrass, tough outer leaves discarded, cut into 2-inch lengths and lightly bruised
- 4-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large red potatoes, sliced
- 3 ears corn, cut in 1/2
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 6 pounds littleneck or cherrystone clams, well scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
In a large soup pot or small stockpot, combine the chicken stock, lemongrass and ginger and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Squeeze lemon halves, then add with red onion, potatoes, corn, andouille, and garlic. Simmer broth about 8 to 10 minutes.
Increase the heat so that the mixture comes to a boil and add the clams. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture returns to a boil and the clams open and just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Serve the clams in shallow bowls, paying attention to remove any lemongrass or ginger pieces, with some of the cooking broth ladled over the clams. Garnish with the chopped cilantro.