- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (half 17 1/4-ounce package)
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed and wiped dry, hulled and halved, or sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese, or 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons superfine or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons red currant or apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon apple juice or water
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, melted
- Mint sprigs, garnish
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, beat the egg with the water.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to a large rectangle, about 14 by 8 inches. With a small, sharp knife, lightly score the outer 3/4-inch edge of each side. Using your finger or a pastry brush, brush this outer edge with the egg wash. Fold the outer edge over onto the dough to make a border, pressing gently to adhere, and paint the top lightly with the egg wash. With a fork, score the inner base of the tart. Place on a prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Bake the pastry shell until light golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
In a small bowl, beat the cream to soft peaks.
Spread the cream mixture evenly over the bottom of the tart shell. Arrange the berries decoratively over the top.
In a small bowl, whisk the jam and apple juice until the jam is smooth and a spreadable consistency. Using a pastry brush, lightly glaze the top of the berries with the jam.
Slice the tart into 8 portions. Spoon puddles of the melted ice cream into the center of 8 dessert plates and top with slices of the tart. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.