Strawberry-Rhubarb Irish Crumble with Irish Whiskey Butter
- For the Irish Whiskey Butter:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- For the Crumble:
- 5 cups quartered strawberries
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb, about 1/3-inch thick (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
To make the Irish whiskey butter, place the butter in a mixing bowl and whip until fluffy. With the mixer running, gradually add the confectioners' sugar. Slowly add the Irish whiskey until combined. The mixture may look separated and curdled at first but if you continue whipping, it will come together. Topping may be used at room temperature or chilled.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 7-by-11-inch baking dish and set aside.
In a medium, mixing bowl, add the flour, oats, light brown sugar, and salt, stirring to combine. Add the diced butter to the flour mixture, and using your fingers, work the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Pour the crumb mixture evenly on top of the strawberry mixture.
Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the topping is golden brown.
Serve warm with a spoonful of the Irish Whiskey Butter.