Stuffed Loin of Pork "Cuba Libre"
- 2 cups sour orange juice, or 1 cup sweet orange juice and 1 cup lime juice
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1 (6 to 7 pound) boneless pork loin, cut lengthwise into 2 pieces, then butterflied open lengthwise
- 1/2 pound country ham, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound bacon, fried crisp and broken into pieces
- 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 (7-ounce) bottle Malta, or other sweet dark malt beer
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a large glass baking pan or bowl, combine the juice, garlic, bay leaf, paprika and about 2 teaspoons Essence. Place both pork pieces in the baking pan. Pour the marinade over the meat, cover and refrigerate. Allow the meat to marinate at least 4 hours, turning several times.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Remove the meat from the marinade. In a large rectangular baking pan, lay one of the pork loin pieces flat. Sprinkle the meat with Essence, then spread the ham across the pork, followed by the bacon, eggs, prunes, carrots and bell pepper. Place the remaining pork loin on top of the layered meat, then roll up the two pieces into a roulade, firmly securing with butcher?s twine or wooden skewers.
In a small bowl combine the sugar with the Malta and pour over the rolled pork. Bake until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees, about 1 hour, basting with the Malta sauce.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001