- 12 sugarcane swizzle sticks, each cut into about 3 inch pieces
- 1 hickory smoked ham, spiral sliced, 8 to 10 pounds (no bone, water added, cooked)
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup pure cane syrup (recommended: Steen's)
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 4) Granny Smith apples
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 4) Bartlett pears
- 2 dozen medium buttermilk biscuits
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a shallow baking pan with parchment or waxed paper. Insert the sugarcane sticks into the ham at 3 to 4-inch intervals. Tie the ham, using kitchen twine, horizontally and vertically to keep it together, like wrapping a gift. Place on a wire rack in the baking pan.
In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients together except for the mustard and water. Mix well. In a small bowl, dissolve the mustard in the water, then add to the spice mixture. Blend well. Brush the entire ham with the glaze, coating it evenly.
Wash, core, and halve the fruit. Place all around the ham. Baste the ham a second time and baste the fruit with the glaze. Bake for 45 minutes. Baste the ham and fruit again. Bake another 45 minutes.
Remove the ham from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. Remove and discard the string and swizzle sticks.