Swamp Bottom Greens (Escarole Sauteed with Garlic and Crushed Red Pepper)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 heads escarole, about 1 1/2 pounds total, rinsed and cut into 1-inch slices crosswise
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, for serving, or to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling, optional
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan and, when hot, add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant; do not allow the garlic to brown. Add the escarole, chicken broth, and salt and cover the pan. Cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Uncover pan and continue to cook, stirring, until cooking juices are nearly evaporated and escarole is tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Taste and reseason, if necessary. Serve drizzled with lemon juice, to taste, and extra-virgin olive oil if desired.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.