- 1 pound very fresh snapper fillets, skin removed, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup finely diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely diced white onions
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bibb Lettuce leaves, cleaned
- Homemade tortilla nests, recipe follows
In a medium serving bowl, combine all the ingredients. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. (NOTE: When ready, the "cooked" fish should be opaque; if not, marinate slightly longer. Be careful not to leave in too long, as fish will turn mushy.)
Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
Place a lettuce leaf on a plate. Top the leaf with the tortilla nest. Fill with the ceviche and serve.
Homemade Tortilla Nests:
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
4 cups corn or vegetable oil
Salt, to taste
Emeril's Original Essence, to taste, recipe follows
In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 360 degrees F.
Quickly dip the tortilla in the oil to make it pliable. Remove from the oil and carefully julienne the tortillas. Spread some of the julienne tortillas in a 1-cup ladle. Place a smaller ladle on top of the tortillas and immerse in the oil. Fry until crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt and Essence. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Serve warm with the Sweet 'n Sour Ceviche.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup