Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 1/2 pounds cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Essence, recipe follows
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a small saucepan combine the sugar and vinegar and heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool completely before proceeding.
Assemble remaining ingredients in a large, non-reactive mixing bowl and pour cooled sugar-vinegar mixture over all. Toss well to combine, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight before serving.
When ready to serve, season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and Essence, to taste, and toss thoroughly to combine.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2007