Sweet Cheese Blintzes with Apple Butter
- For the Apple Butter Topping:
- 3 pounds Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- For the Crepe Batter:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 6 teaspoons melted unsalted butter
- For the Sweet Cheese Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- To Assemble the Blintzes:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for serving
- Confectioners' sugar, for garnish, optional
Make the Apple Butter Topping by placing the apples, cider, sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves and allspice in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring and mashing the apples occasionally. When ready, the apple butter should be golden brown and very thick. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool until ready to serve the blintzes.
To prepare the crepes, whisk together the flour, sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla, salt and 4 1/2 teaspoons of the butter to form a smooth, thin batter. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before proceeding.
Heat a heavy 10-inch skillet or crepe pan over medium-high heat. When hot, brush with a light coating of the remaining butter. Ladle about 2 ounces of the crepe batter into the pan, tilting the skillet to evenly coat the pan with batter. Cook until golden brown on the bottom and the top begins to look dry, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully turn the crepe and cook on the second side just until the bottom colors slightly, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with waxed paper to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar.
Form the blintzes by spooning 1/4 cup of the filling down the bottom third of each crepe. Fold the edges over the filling, roll to seal the filling, and arrange in the bottom of a baking dish large enough to hold them in 1 layer. Bake the blintzes until the bottom is golden brown and the filling is set, about 8 minutes, and then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.
To serve, place 2 blintzes on each of 4 dessert plates. Top each blintz with 1 tablespoon of the Apple Butter and 1 tablespoon of the sour cream. Garnish with confectioners' sugar, if desired and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.