Sweet Corn, Lima Bean and Lobster Shepherd's Pie
- 2 (1 1/2-pound) live lobsters
- 1 tablespoon softened butter, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon Essence or Creole Seasoning, recipe follows
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups lobster, shrimp, or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups frozen lima beans
- 4 cups basic mashed potatoes, recipe follows
- 1 cup grated sharp or medium Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- For the Basic Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled, quartered, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Set a large 2 to 3 gallon stockpot to boil over high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, immerse the lobsters in the pot. Cook the lobster for 5 minutes, remove, and chill immediately in an ice bath. Once the lobsters are cool enough to handle, remove from the water and place on a kitchen towel draped over a cutting board. Twist the tail off the lobsters, and cut the tails in half lengthwise using a large chef's knife and chop into 1/2-inch pieces. Crack the shells of the claws to remove the meat, chop into 1/2-inch pieces. Combine the claw meat with the tail meat and set aside until ready to use.
In a large saute pan or skillet, heat the remaining butter and the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, Essence, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, thyme, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are soft and lightly caramelized, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the corn to the pan and cook until soft, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until thick, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually add the stock and then the lima beans, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the mixture is thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Fold the lobster meat into the pot. Carefully transfer to the prepared dish and spoon the potatoes over the mixture, spreading to the edges. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake until the cheese is bubbly and the potatoes are crisp around the edges, 30 to 35 minutes.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William Morrow, 1993.For the Basic Mashed Potatoes:
Place the potatoes in a medium, heavy saucepan with enough salted water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 25 minutes.
Drain in a colander and return to the saucepan. Over medium-low heat, cook the potatoes for 1 minute to dry. Add the milk, butter, cream, salt and pepper and mash until smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.