Sweet Peas au Gratin
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup minced onions
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups sweet green peas, blanched
- 1/2 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- Essence, recipe follows
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- For Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8 cup oval gratin dish with 1 teaspoon of the butter.
In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the milk and bring to a simmer. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Add the peas and mix thoroughly.
Pour into the prepared pan. Season the bread crumbs with Essence. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the peas. Top with the grated cheese.
Place in the oven and cook until the peas are bubbly and the top is golden, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Spoon onto serving plates and serve.For Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup