Sweet Potato and Corn Pudding
- 2 teaspoons butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 strips bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 ears fresh yellow corn, shucked and kernels cut from the cob
- 1 cup small diced onion
- 1/2 cup small diced bell pepper
- 1/2 cup small diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 (12-ounce) sweet potato, roasted and strained through a fine sieve, about 1 cup
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Set a 12-inch saute pan over medium heat and add the olive oil and bacon. Cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat has rendered, and the bacon is crispy, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the corn to the bacon and cook, stirring often, until the corn is slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, bell pepper and celery and continue to cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and saute for 30 seconds. Season the vegetables with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the cayenne pepper. Set the pan aside and allow the vegetables to cool.
In a large bowl, combine the heavy cream, milk, eggs, sweet potatoes, remaining teaspoon of salt, black pepper and nutmeg. Using a whisk, beat the cream mixture until frothy. Add the Parmesan, cornmeal, and the cooled corn mixture to the bowl. Stir to mix well and pour into the prepared casserole dish.
Place in the oven and bake until the center is set and the top is deep golden brown, about 1 hour. Be sure to turn the casserole dish around after 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the counter top for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.