Sweet Potato Spice Cake
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter at room temperature, plus 1/2 pound (2 sticks)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds raw sweet potatoes)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, or slightly more as needed
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 12-cup bundt pan with 1 teaspoon of the butter and set aside.
Into a bowl, sift together the flour, soda, powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. Add to the sweet potato mixture a third at a time. Fold in the nuts and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
While the cake is resting in the pan, in a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange juice, and orange zest. Stir well to combine and make a tight glaze, adding more orange juice 1/2 teaspoon at a time to achieve a pourable consistency.
Turn out onto a wire rack. While the cake is still warm, drizzle the orange-sugar glaze to evenly coat. Cool completely before cutting.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Potato Cakes and Eggs, Mini Pumpkin Spice Cakes with Orange Glaze, Double Cut Pork Chops with Tamarind Glaze, Green Mole Sauce and Caramelized Sweet Potatoes, Shortbread Cookie Recipes, Apple Crisp Recipes, Easy Shrimp, Easy Casserole, Easy Appetizer Recipes, Banana Split Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.