Syrup Cake: Gateau de Sirop
- Cake Batter:
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon solid vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup pure cane syrup, such as Steen's 100 percent Pure Cane Syrup
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pecan-Brown Sugar Topping:
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup lightly toasted, roughly chopped pecan pieces
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer cream together the remaining 1/3 cup of shortening, the sugar, and syrup. Add the water and mix well. Add the egg and mix again.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to the sugar mixture and beat until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is set and slightly shrinks from the side of the pan, about 35 minutes.
Remove and cool slightly in the pan on a wire rack.
In a bowl, mix together the topping ingredients until they resemble coarse crumbs. After the cake has cooled slightly, spread the topping evenly over the cake and return the cake to the oven. Bake until the topping is melted, 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003