- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 lady fingers, torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 mandarin oranges, segmented
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes, lightly toasted
- Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
- Cookies, as garnish
In a large saucepan, combine the milk, orange juice, sugar, tapioca, eggs, zest, and salt, and whisk until well blended. Let sit for 5 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and cook, stirring, until thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla, and let cool slightly.
In the bottom of 6 tall parfait glasses, divide the lady finger pieces. Sprinkle each with about 2 teaspoons of the orange liqueur and sprinkle with a light dusting of the cocoa powder. Layer with a spoonful of the tapioca pudding, cocoa, orange segments, and coconut, and repeat, ending with coconut on top. Top each portion with sweetened whipped cream. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until well chilled, 2 to 3 hours.
Serve each parfait with a cookie, as desired.