- 1 pound (21 to 25 count) shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 2 teaspoons Essence
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 8 ounces (1/2 16-ounce box) kataifi (shredded phyllo pastry), defrosted and covered with a damp towel
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 large head Bibb lettuce, separated into leaves, tough stem ends removed, washed and spun dry
- Hot and Sour Chili Sauce, recipe follows
In a wok, preheat the oil to 375 degrees F.
In a baking dish, toss the shrimp with the Essence and lime juice.
In a bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually add the water, whisking, until the batter is smooth and thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon. Place the shrimp in the batter and toss to coat.
Unroll the kataifi a small amount at a time and cut into lengths the same size as the shrimp, about 4-inches. Spread the cut kataifi flat on a work surface and cover the remaining with a damp towel to keep from drying out. One at a time, lay the shrimp on the cut kataifi and roll to completely wrap inside.
In batches, add to the oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
To serve, place the shrimp in the lettuce cups. Drizzle with the Hot and Sour Chili. Serve immediately.
Hot and Sour Chili Sauce:
1 cup Sweet Thai Chili Sauce*
1/4 cup Sriracha hot chili sauce*
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Serve at room temperature.
Yield: 1 1/4 cups
*available at Asian and gourmet markets, and some supermarkets